Friday, August 20, 2021

How Technology Changes Our Life

One Simple Question:

This video resonates with me personally. The generation I grew up in had very limited technology when we were growing up. Of course, we had technology like Gameboys and Nintendo’s, but it wasn’t something we spent much time doing. We mainly played outside with our neighbors or went exploring in our small town. I don’t ever remember spending more that 5-10 minutes on electronics. We had a home phone so we could call our friends that lived a few blocks away and ask if they could come over to play outside.

I have 1 nephew and 2 nieces, and they are consumed by technology. My nephew wants to be a youtuber when he grows up and they only toy they ask for during holidays are electronics or video games. My 6-year-old niece is already asking for an iPhone. It’s crazy to me because every time I go to visit, I suggest we play hide and seek or something outside and they only want me to play video games with them (which I am terrible at). Of course, there are times when their mom takes these things and makes them play outside, but if it was there choice, they would never leave that game.

Of course, throughout the generations this has changed because technology has expanded and evolved, but I fear kids are going to miss out on some amazing memories outdoors with friends. But they also may be a very successful generation since they are already so familiar with technology. I don’t think we should complete prevent children from using technology, but I think it should be a healthy balance.

Technology Hijacked the Family Dinner:

I love the idea of this product! Like I said, growing up my siblings and I had very limited technology. We never brought it to the dinner table. We never cared enough to. But nowadays, I catch myself checking my phone while out to dinner with my husband. We made a promise to each other to never take our phones out at dinner. But when we’re having a conversation and one of us “needs to look something up” on our phone, the rules go out the window. We are so reliant on technology that we subconsciously use it even when we’re not needing to.

I think the younger generation especially relies on technology to keep them entertained. They don’t know the experience of sitting down at the table to have a conversation with your family. I want to say that when I have kids personally, I will not allow this, but I know that’s not realistic. Life gets busy and people find comfort in using technology. It is too convenient.

 Chinese Research Claims the First Gene-edited Baby:

I think this is an extremely controversial. In the video within this article, Dr. Kran Musunuru, states that when the risks for an experiment outweigh the benefits the project is unethical. He says that is the case in this experiment. Personally, I agree. I think the idea may not be unethical but attempting this project prematurely with not enough research and experimentation is. It honestly intimidates me that doing this now can alter future generations. My personal opinion is that creating a new life should not be altered in anyway. I think it should be a natural non-modified process.

I can understand the idea of wanted to create a life that is immune from certain diseases, but I think it is too risky and unethical. I think that this may be pushing the boundaries of the creation of life.

25 best inventions of 2016:

Seeing some of these inventions is mind blowing to me. Even though these inventions are 5 years ago they are still so advanced. Even now in 2021 the inventions that happen almost daily is crazy. Technology is advancing so fast that we almost can’t keep up with it. The apple air pods are in this 2016 inventions article, and I just found out about them and purchase my self a pair a few months ago and now they already have an updated style. There are so many new inventions coming out that we cannot keep up with them.

HIV Vaccines:

Technology gives scientist the resources to begin to work on creating a vaccine for HIV. People living with HIV now, currently have more medications and resources to keep them healthy and safe. This is because scientists were able to use technology and research to create these life saving medications. They are now working towards creating a vaccine that can completely protect people from HIV. I think this is one of the amazing things is that technology is helping advance science and medicine.

How millennials use technology:

Millennials have somewhat grown along with technology. They were there when it began expanding and have adapted and updated along with it. I just barley fall into the millennial group. I know that each year growing up there was some sort of new technology and I just had to learn how to use it. Millennials learned the new technology and just continued learning as it grew. Older generations didn’t want to learn the new technology and younger generations were just born into it. Millennials have seen technology expanding from the very beginning and will continue to grow along with it.



4 comments:

  1. I think that technology is changing so rapidly as well. Any time I have to look at a device to buy for school, or my job or whatever the case may be I always have to have my dad come help me so I don't buy the wrong version or brand, etc. I can barely understand how my own cell phone works and they just keep getting more and more advanced! Hopefully one day they can create an alarm for my phone anytime I leave my house without it because I forget it all the time! But I think by the time I am thirty I'll be saying that the technology available will be too complicated for me sadly enough. Let's hope I can keep up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the inventions from 5 years ago. In 2016, I nevr even thought about buying a pair of wireless headphones. They were all to expensive and it wasn't convenient for me. Last year, I bought a pair of cheaper wireless headphones and I can't live without them. I'm now that annoying person that reccomends wireless headphones to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Technology is advancing so fast, who knows what we will have within 10 years or even 5 years down the line. We have it integrated so much into our lives. Earlier I was watching a tiktok video where a lady had implanted a chip into her hand that allowed her to unlock or lock any door in her house. I'm not sure if it was real, but it still amazed me to think that people are getting to the point where that would be more convenient than using a key.

    My son also wants to be a youtuber, and I see how unrealistic expectations are negatively impacting him. IF he was a bad day or he get onto him the first thing he says is ___ youtuber never has this happen to him or this is why I wish I was a youtuber to buy ____. Just like how social media influences us, children are much more susceptible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you put the picture in the blogger for the visual aide!! I totally enjoy reading your thoughts about the "Youtubers" as my older one wishes to become one as he "runs" his Tiktok with reviewers. It's amazing to see how social media are the major platforms to have the younger generation demonstrate their thoughts and how rapid and circulation the videos can spread when we compare to the news just 20 years ago. I truly believe the concept of "global village" outreach and stretch more for the sake of technology!

    ReplyDelete

Technology in China VS United States

I  think that China has the right idea by placing certain restrictions on online gaming. I think that technology is a great and useful tool ...